Monday, February 18, 2008

church worship

I have been rolling around my head for the last week about Church. Why to some is it called a "service?" Are we providing a service like my auto mechanic or our banker or our mail persons? IF we are then what is the service?

And on top of this, what are church models? I have heard that there are some church models like the traditional model that so-called "fundamentalists" would like, a seeker, program loaded model after some felt needs or a missional model that is for urban settings or a godcentered model that might resemble the first christians, among others I imagine.

I do not understand this. Why is there a model or why is the model about a service? I say that we should start to understand this differently or think about this differently. I have been a part of many congregations of brothers and sisters of Christ that have been concerned with things other than the kingdom of God. I want people to come to church, sure, but for what? For spirtual food? what is that? For a good worship and fellowship? Do they have to be a part of the in-crowd then? To hear a good sermon? I have never heard a perfect sermon, yet.

I do not know, i am confused about this. I have seen and read about the certain aspects of order and criteria so to speak, given in the pastoral letters of the new testament but i do not understand that necessarily to be about church models. Maybe the models are a good way and reason for not accepting a certain church or people, or their message. You know, something like, "oh you only live in simplicity because you participate in a missional congregation. We have programs that reach thousands." or "our church is here to focus on providing for the missionaries that we sent to afganistan. We also have great fellowship on sundays."

1 comment:

Dan said...

The term "model" does sound like a pre-fabricated church-in-the-box.

But I think, for the cultural situation we're in, it is a functional term that can help describe what a church's priorities are. Why is it important? Maybe it isn't.

But maybe, if we see different models, we can notice the shortcomings of each and the strengths of each in order to strengthen each ministry.